It’s the way we communicate with God. It’s the access to our inheritance in the heavenly places. It’s the partnership of friends and family expressing our dependence on God to accomplish His plan of redemption.
Prayer is the most essential need I have for my mission to Uganda this year (more details coming soon!!).
For the next 12 months will you commit to pray for me and all the FCM missionaries in Uganda?
If you don’t know where to start, try using this wonderful guideline Wycliffe has provided to prompt you in your prayers for missionaries:
Pray for Open Doors
Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains.
Colossians 4:2–3, NIV
Open doors can’t be taken for granted. Many missionaries work in countries that are difficult to access or in areas that are resistant to the gospel. But “open doors” include more than just access to nations and people groups. Individuals’ hearts also need to be open and receptive to God’s truth.
- Pray that God will open doors of ministry, blessing partnerships and friendships.
- Pray that those who serve will be led by the Holy Spirit and recognize open-door opportunities.
- Pray that God will lead His people past barriers to hearts ready to receive His Word.
Pray for Boldness in Witness
Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel.
Ephesians 6:19, NIV
Missionaries are regular people who fear pain and rejection as much as anyone else. When faced with opposition, they need God’s strength to help them stand firm.
- Pray that missionaries will have boldness to overcome the fear of embarrassment or failure.
- Pray that the Spirit will provide them with words that communicate effectively in other cultures and languages.
- Pray against evil forces that would seek to hinder the spread of the gospel.
Pray that God’s Word Will Spread
Finally, dear brothers and sisters, I ask you to pray for us. Pray first that the Lord’s message will spread rapidly and be honored wherever it goes.…
2 Thessalonians 3:1, NLT
Obstacles must be removed to allow God’s Word to spread rapidly and freely. Removing obstacles implies resolute resistance in spiritual warfare. Just as Aaron and Hur supported Moses’ arms in the battle against the Amalekites (Exodus 17:12), you can strengthen the arms of missionaries through your prayers.
- Pray for strength and stamina as missionaries encounter antagonistic spiritual forces. (Ephesians 6:10–18)
- Pray that people will resist Satan’s plans to obstruct the spread of the gospel. (James 4:7)
- Pray that God’s Word will indeed spread rapidly and be honored wherever it goes.
Pray for Protection
Pray, too, that we will be saved from wicked and evil people, for not everyone believes in the Lord.
2 Thessalonians 3:2, NLT
In some countries, open doors may expose missionaries to the possibility of danger and personal harm. Opposition to the gospel may include hatred and violence.
- Pray that God will keep Christian workers safe from those who seek to hurt them.
- Pray that God will change the hearts of those who are resistant to His Word.
Pray for Their Ministry
Pray first that the Lord’s message will spread rapidly and be honored wherever it goes…
2 Thesslaonians 3:1, NLT
Cooperation and partnership are essential to ministry and vital to the progress of the work.
- Pray that the missionary’s ministry and attitude will be worthy of acceptance.
- Pray that colleagues and fellow believers will be supportive.
Pray for God’s Guidance
So we have continued praying for you ever since we first heard about you. We ask God to give you a complete understanding of what He wants to do in your lives, and we ask Him to make you wise with spiritual wisdom.
Colossians 1:9, NLT
Many missionaries travel frequently, both nationally and internationally. Their mode of transportation varies from country to country and often involves stressful situations.
- Pray for clear guidance from God regarding travel decisions.
- Pray for necessary permissions to travel.
- Pray for protection and provision during their travels.
Pray for Refreshment
We also pray that you will be strengthened with His glorious power so that you will have all the patience and endurance you need. May you be filled with joy.
Colossians 1:11, NLT
Missionaries deal with many of the same stresses you face in life such as overwhelming workloads, relational conflicts and financial uncertainties. Often, however, missionaries struggle with these issues alone, without the fellowship and support of other Christians. Living and working cross-culturally adds an additional element that can challenge their emotional, spiritual and physical vitality.
- Pray that God will provide opportunities for missionaries in lonely areas to spend time with other believers.
- Pray that God will provide times of peace and relaxation to refresh His workers.
- Pray that God will encourage missionaries with the knowledge that people back home care about their emotional well-being.
Partners in prayer
The apostle Paul was a missionary and a man of prayer. He prayed for those without Christ, for the believers, and for the new churches established under his ministry. He also asked the believers to pray for him:
Dear brothers and sisters, I urge you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me. Do this because of your love for me, given to you by the Holy Spirit.
Romans 15:30, NLT
Paul knew prayer would bring results:
He will rescue us because you are helping by praying for us. As a result, many will give thanks to God because so many people’s prayers for our safety have been answered.
2 Corinthians 1:11, NLT
In his letters, Paul gave specific prayer requests for which believers should pray. As a prayer partner with those who are called to go, you too will have an impact that can reach around the world. Paul’s prayer requests can serve as a tool for praying with effectiveness and understanding.